Victim Assistance Services

The following organizations provide assistance and support services to victims of domestic violence, abuse and neglect and/or other crimes

Family Services
Domestic violence

Department of Social Services
Adult Protective Services

Family Services
Domestic Violence

Forsyth County Domestic Violence Unit
Safe on Seven
336-723-8125 (24 hour crisis line)

Forsyth County Sheriff’s Department

Kernersville Police Department

Legal Aid of NC
Domestic violence

Winston-Salem Police Department
Domestic violence – 336-773-7860
Non-emergency – 336-773-7700


Q: I feel like my neighbor is being taken advantage of by his children and not being cared for properly. He is not capable of handling his affairs anymore, so I feel like I should tell someone. Who should I call?
A: It is the law that any person who has reasonable cause to believe that a disabled person is in need of Protective Services must report the case to the county Social Services Department (N.C.G.S. 108A-102). The reporter’s identity is kept confidential. North Carolina General Statutes (N.C.G.S. Article 6, Chapter 108A) requires that county Departments of Social Services provide protection services for disabled adults who are alleged to be abused, neglected or exploited and in need of protective services.

  • Abuse is defined as the willful infliction of physical pain, injury or mental anguish, unreasonable confinement, or the willful deprivation of services (by a caretaker), which are necessary to maintain the disabled adult’s mental/physical health.
  • Neglect is defined as the inability of a disabled adult to provide the services which are necessary to maintain mental/physical health (Self Neglect), and who is not receiving services from his caretaker (Caretaker Neglect).
  • Exploitation is defined as the improper use of a disabled adult or his resources for another’s profit or advantage.

To contact the Forsyth County Adult Protective Division call 336.703.3503.

Q: My mom paid a company to do some work on her house and they never finished the job. Where can she file a complaint or get help?
A: If you or someone you know has been a victim of an unfair business practice or a scam or if you have a new senior scam to report, contact the Consumer Protection Division of the NC Department of Justice or call toll-free within North Carolina at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM. You may also consider calling the Northwest North Carolina Better Business Bureau at 336.725.8348.

Back to Directory of Services

Stay Up to Date with the Latest News

Back to Top