Utility Assistance

The following organizations offer assistance with utilities such as power, phone and gas.

Crisis Control Ministry
Kernersville – 336-996-5401
Winston-Salem – 336-724-7453

Department of Social Services
Utility Assistance


Sunnyside Ministry
Zip codes 27107 and 27127 only


Q: How do I qualify for emergency assistance?
A: Emergency Assistance providers require documentation to receive assistance through their programs. Documentation may include: a picture ID, Social Security card, proof of current address, proof of crisis (for example: a disconnection notice), and proof of household income and expenses.  Please verify the documentation required by the provider from whom you are seeking assistance. Some providers see individuals on a first come, first served basis, while others may schedule appointments.

Q: What is the Duke Power Moratorium?
A:  Moratorium is a prohibition against disconnecting service to residential customers (during a designated time period) who meet eligibility requirements established by the North Carolina Utilities Commission. The North Carolina Moratorium period is November 1st through March 31st.

To qualify annually under the moratorium provision a customer must establish ALL of the following:

  • Someone in the customer’s household must be either handicapped, elderly (65 or older), or both.
  • Customer cannot pay his/her account in full, or installments to bring the account into balance within 6 months.
  • The county Department of Social Services which administers the Energy Crisis Assistance Program has certified that the household is eligible to receive such assistance, regardless of availability of funds.

For more information, contact Forsyth County Department of Social Services at 336.703.3800

Back to Directory of Services

Stay Up to Date with the Latest News

Back to Top