The following organizations provide assistance related to local, state and federal taxes.


Forsyth County Tax Office

National – 1-800-829-1040
Winston-Salem office – 336-659-2740

NC Department of Revenue
State tax information

The Experiment on Self-Reliance, Inc. (ESR)
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)




Q: Who can help me with a simple tax return?
A: The following two groups provide trained volunteers to prepare simple federal and state income tax returns for free to Forsyth County residents. Electronic filing is available for quicker refunds. If filing as a married couple, both husband and wife must be present.

  • The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) assists low-to moderate-income taxpayers – especially those over 60. For more information about AARP tax assistance, call 1-888-227-7669 or visit
  • Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) assists families earning up to $54,000. For more information on VITA tax assistance, call 722-9400, ext 459 or visit

Q: I have heard of property tax assistance for seniors. Can you tell me more?
A:  North Carolina offers three targeted tax relief programs: Traditional Elderly/Disabled Exclusion, an updated Disabled Veteran’s Exclusion, and a new program called the Homestead Circuit Breaker. To see if you might be eligible, click here.

Back to Directory of Services

Stay Up to Date with the Latest News

Back to Top