Social Security Benefits

The following organizations assist with applying for and understanding benefits.

Disability Advocates of NWNC
Disability filing

Social Security Administration
National – 1-800-772-1213
Winston-Salem office – 1-877-402-0828


Q: What is a representative payee?
A: A representative payee is a person or an organization appointed by Social Security to receive the Social Security or SSI benefits for anyone who can’t manage or direct the management of his or her benefits themselves.  A payee’s main duties are to use the benefits to pay for the current and future needs of the beneficiary, and properly save any benefits not needed to meet current needs. A payee must also keep records of expenses. A payee must provide an accounting of how he or she used or saved the benefits. To apply online or learn more about this process click here.

Q: My mother has moved here from Florida and lost her Medicare card. Where can we get another one?
A: She can change her address and apply for a new Medicare card on Social Security’s website. The website offers a host of online options for easier access and convenience. Applications can be completed online for retirement benefits, disability benefits and Medicare insurance.  If you have already applied for a benefit and need to check the status you can also do that through their website.  Just click here to get started.

Back to Directory of Services

Stay Up to Date with the Latest News

Back to Top