Long-Term Care Facilities

The following organizations provide information on facility quality, payment options and licensing.

Department of Social Services

NC Division of Health Service Regulation
Complaint Hotline

Nursing Home Ratings

NC Department of Insurance
Toll-Free: 855-408-1212

Piedmont Triad Regional Council
Area Agency on Aging (Ombudsman Program)

Senior Services Inc.
Help Line

for a complete list of facilities



Q: How do I know what level of care my loved one is? He needs to be placed in a care facility.

A: Your family member’s level of care is determined by his/her physician. The doctor will complete a FL-2, this is North Carolina’s form that describes a patient’s medical condition and the amount of care they need when placed in a facility. A completed FL-2 form is required for Medicaid recipients admitted into any long term care facility.

Q: What is the difference between a nursing home and an assisted living facility?

A: A nursing home (skilled nursing facility) offers 24-hour skilled nursing care to individuals who either have a chronic illness or are recovering from serious injuries or surgery. Basic services include meals, assistance with eating, bathing, grooming, and toileting. Skilled care includes changing a dressing, monitoring catheters, administering medications, and receiving intensive therapy services.

On the other hand, assisted living facilities (ALF) are communities that provide daily assistance and supportive services, but offer less intensive care than skilled nursing facilities. Meals and snacks are provided. Assisted living facilities may offer more than one level of care or offer special care units for residents with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias. They are currently licensed by the state as adult care homes.

Stay Up to Date with the Latest News
Back to Top